Sunday, June 26, 2011

Greek Dip

We had a bunch of fresh, locally grown veggies, and at the end of the weekend (with all the eating at restaurants) something light was in order.

I saw this recipe and gave it a go. This is how I did it:



1 8oz pkg cream cheese, room temperature
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp dill (or more)
1 tsp herb and garlic seasoning (like Mrs. Dash)
1 tub hummus (or make your own)
Chopped cucumber
Chopped tomato
Chopped green onion
Chopped kalamata olives
Chopped lettuce (dark green...I used some baby lettuce I grew)
Chopped fresh parsley
Feta cheese, crumbled
Fresh cracked pepper
Olive oil

In a medium bowl, mix (with a mixer) the cream cheese, lemon juice, dill and seasoning. Adjust to taste but remember that the flavours will intensify with time.

Smear cream cheese onto bottom of a glass pie plate (or other vessel). Top with hummus (I used about 2/3 of a tub). Put a layer of cucumber, a layer of tomato, a layer of green onion, a layer of chopped olives, and a layer of lettuce on top of the hummus.

Crumble feta on the vegetables, sprinkle on chopped parsley, grind some fresh black pepper on top, and drizzle on some olive oil.

Easy stuff, right?

The original recipe suggested covering and refrigerating for a couple of hours. I chose not to. First, because refrigerating tomatoes is a sin. Second, I wanted to eat.

I toasted up some whole wheat pita triangles to eat with this, but you could use whatever.

We will totally be eating this again, though I'll probably throw in some orange sweet peppers for a little more crunch (and another veggie).

No comments: