Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Fondue? Yes Please!

I was introduced to fondue in 2004, by some coworkers. Our Christmas party was cheese and chocolate at The Melting Pot at the Charlotte University location.

I was hooked...and I wanted more.

For the next few years, I ate there once every month or so. You know you are a "regular" when the manager sends kitchen staff out to get Heath Bars at the store so they can make your favourite chocolate (it had been removed from the menu). I mean, I never had to ask for it...they would just bring it "my way".

When I moved back to Canada, I was sad to find out that there wasn't a Melting Pot anywhere nearby. They have since opened one in Grand Rapids, MI, but that's a long way to travel just to get melted cheese.

So I set to making my own "Big Night Out". This has become a New Years Eve tradition for the past 3 NYEs and it will continue tonight.

I'll probably break this up into a few posts, because it's going to be long...let's call this one:

My Inspiration

When you go to the Melting Pot, you are given a menu. You could do just cheese, just chocolate, or the whole shebang.

I recommend the whole shebang.

WWJD? (What Would Jacy Do?)

It's a lot of prep, but it's totally worth it, and there are ways to make things easier on you. Plan ahead.

Today is Wednesday, NYE is Friday. I'm making my shopping list today, and will be doing the shopping tomorrow (to avoid the "day of" rush). I will prep the food Friday, and when suppertime rolls around, all I'll need to do is throw it together.

So here's the menu:

Appetizer - Beer & cheddar fondue with granny smith apples, soft pretzel sticks, french bread, carrots and celery

Salad - Spinach salad

Main course - Coq au Vin cooking method with filet mignon, meatballs, chicken, potatoes, mushrooms (sauces: green goddess, bbq, teriyaki, anything else I can find)

Dessert - Milk chocolate and Skor bits, with brownie chunks, bananas, strawberries, pineapple, graham crackers

Drinks - Red wine of Don's choosing and possibly a girly martini style cocktail.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Sounds delicious! I've never had fondue. And I really have no excuse b/c we currently have a Melting Pot literally in my backyard. Walk across the apartment complex, through the back gate, and you're in the shopping center that MP is in. Maybe I'll have to try it :)