Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Family Reunion: Salty, Spicy, Chocolatey 2 Bite Brownies

When I am stressed out, I bake. Friday afternoon we realized that our family room/laundry room/basement was flooded, which sucked the fun out of our "4 day family weekend"...so I baked.

On Saturday was my family's annual reunion. Four generations together in the same place? It is great fun. I didn't get a chance to visit with everyone as much as I would have liked to because I was trading entertaining Quinn responsibilities with my sister Kate (since poor Don was stuck here at home cleaning up the aftermath), but it was great fun!

I decided to bake up some Salty, Spicy, Chocolatey 2 Bite Brownies to bring along for the ride. The recipe is based off of Brian Boitano's "Fudgy Gooey Brownies" from the Band Aid episode of What Would Brian Boitano Make?

saltySpcyBrownies


Preheat oven to 325 degrees (though I have the annoying breed of oven that needs to be closely monitored and adjusted throughout the cooking process....maybe one day a kitchen appliance company will read my blog, feel sorry for me, and donate a new oven).

This recipe made about 55 little brownies in my 24 count mini muffin tin.

Melt 12 oz semisweet chocolate and 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (cut into cubes) in a double boiler until glossy and remove from heat.

In bowl, mix 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp chili powder, and 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.

In a second bowl, mix 4 large eggs and 3 large egg yolks (all at room temperature), and 1 tblsp vanilla.

Stir 1 cup demerara sugar and 3/4 cup white sugar into melted chocolate and butter mixture until combined. The chocolate should be cooled slightly (so you shouldn't end up with scrambled eggs), so you can add your egg gunk and stir to combine.

At this point add the flour mixture in a couple of batches, but don't overmix.

Grab a small ice cream/cookie scoop and portion it out into the mini muffin tin. Before popping into the oven for about 15 minutes, sprinkle the top with a little bit of flaked sea salt. I actually had some Himalyan Pink on hand, so that's what went on top. Keep an eye on the brownies until the tops look set. The middle will still be gooey so relying on the "clean tester" method won't work.

Let brownies set up a bit in the pan for 2 minutes or so, then transfer to a baking rack to finish cooling.

Brian's recipe called for espresso powder, which I did not have (and can't get without having to buy a crapload that I'll never use), and ancho chili powder (which I could not find). I eliminated the espresso powder and subbed run of the mill chili powder, and it was tasty as heck.


The Verdict?
Very tender, great chocolate flavour with some heat in the back of the throat. Would be amazing with a little caramel drizzled on top.

Not dense like brownies usually are (which is why he's not a fan). He liked them.

Did not try these.

No comments: