Friday, July 30, 2010

What's on the Plate for Next Week?

Every Friday (at least that's the plan), I look at the flyers for inspiration -  and to see what's going on sale - and I plan what we're going to eat. Doing it on Friday makes it less tempting to eat out all weekend which is appealing (who likes to cook and clean up on their days off?) but it adds up. Fast. We do try to go out once a week or so for dinner because we work hard, man...we deserve it!

This isn't set in stone...who knows? The grocery store might not have what I need, or something may come up during the week, but it's nice to have everything I need to make a dish, and planning ahead saves money.

So, here's the plan:

- Salmon with mango salsa and new potatoes
- Steak with mushroom "stew" and mango salad
- Pizza pasta
- Chicken benedict
- Mexican pizza with leek and avocado soup
- Tacos (Don's fave...a weekly requirement)

I have a few things in my fridge left over from last week (leeks, mushrooms, pepperoni...) that I kept in mind while planning. Also, I love mango but never use a whole fruit for any given recipe, so spreading it out over 2 different dishes allows me to eat it and not have to waste the rest!

We try to eat fish at least once a week, and I'm not a huge fan of the fish...unless it's battered and deep fried (which sort of defeats the purpose of eating it for health reasons). I have tried a bunch of different recipes using salmon and tilapia and find that, prepared the right way, I actually enjoy it. I'm excited to try this new concoction!

No comments: