Friday, July 30, 2010

Hamburger Hash

As I mentioned in yesterday's Tuna Noodle Casserole post, Hamburger Hash was one of the staples in our home. This dish was also the first thing I ever made for Don and he loved it. It was also the first time I realized that he is of the school that ketchup is a side dish, and I was all offended that he was smothering my food with Leamington's Finest, but that's another story. I'm over it. Really.

Here's the thing...I would imagine something like this would be a pretty universal dish, it's just meat and potatoes,  but I've made it before in other parts of North America and was informed that "We don't eat that here". Is it possible this is just a regional thing? My friend in college used to eat this (she's local). Her family called it "Hamburger Gravy".

Truth be told, it's just lazy-ass shepherds pie, right?

It's easy to make, doesn't take a lot of stuff, and it's relatively cheap. That's All Win in my book.

hamburgerHash

Hamburger Hash

1 lb ground beef (I prefer extra lean)
Handful frozen corn (or peas, carrots, green beans, whatever)
Beef or mushroom gravy (Bisto or other powdered mix, canned, whatever you can scrounge up)
Potatoes, peeled and chopped
Butter and milk for your mash
Salt and pepper

Put your potatoes on to boil. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that the smaller you cut your potatoes, the quicker they are going to cook...and if you cut them evenly, they will cook evenly. Amazing, right?

In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef, drain if necessary, and add the frozen (or fresh) veg. Add gravy and warm everything. Taste and season as needed.

Mash or whip your potatoes with butter, milk, cream, sour cream, buttermilk, whatever you do. I used butter and a little heavy cream that I had leftover in the fridge. I finished them off with some chives from our garden and some salt and pepper.

Plop your potatoes on the plate and make a well in the centre. Slop some meat and gravy in the well.

Eat, and enjoy :)

No comments: