Wednesday, March 2, 2011

It's TACO NIGHT!

When posed with the question "What do you want? Bean and portobello burgers or tacos?" Don laughed. I knew what his answer would be.

So tonight is taco night!

We get corn tortillas from a Mexican Mennonite place here in town. They make them fresh, with no preservatives, and they are excellent for anything we used to use whole wheat bread for. I love cheese melted between them, or peanut butter and banana...man, I'm hungry.

I prefer to make my taco seasoning because it gives me a chance to control what is in it. It's not difficult and doesn't use any crazy exotic ingredients - most people I know have all the components. Why would you WANT to eat something out of a package (containing who knows what?) that you can make so easily (and quickly)?

I brown my ground sirloin, add a bit of water and the below seasonings, and let it simmer on low for an hour or so. I'm sure this would work with TVP as well, but I can't stand the stuff.

I heat up the corn tortillas in a dry frying pan, and pack them with meat, cheese, tomato and sour cream (and avocado and fresh cilantro, if we have them handy). That's how we like them.

Taco Seasoning

1 tblsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove fresh, grated in)
1/2 tsp onion powder (or 1/2 a fresh onion, finely diced)
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried cumin
Pinch salt

I taste after a bit and adjust the above, to taste.

I'd love to get my mitts on some ground chipotle. That would make my taco seasoning extra delicious!

By the way, if you don't have smoked paprika, you can use "regular" paprika.

No comments: