Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pressed Pizza Sandwich

This one is a quick prep but takes a bit of time before you can eat it. Pressed sandwiches are awesome for picnics, lunches, anytime...

Pizza Sandwich

2 Portuguese rolls (or any soft crusted roll)
6 slices salami
6 slices mozzarella
Jar of roasted red peppers
Basil pesto

Cut a small slice off the top of the rolls (or whatever bread like thing you've got on hand) and scoop out the middle of the roll to make a well to put the goodies in.

Smear a little bit of pesto on the bottom of the hollowed out roll, and on the "lid". In the bottom of the roll, lay some roasted red peppers. Top with a layer of salami, and then a layer of mozzarella cheese. Though I think I did cheese, meat, cheese for this one)

Put the lid on the bun and wrap tightly in saran wrap. Now it's time to smush them!

I used our big wooden cutting board with a cast iron frying pan and 2 cans of beans to press these babies. I left them under the cutting board for 6 hours, and then popped them in the fridge until it was time for us to eat them.

Pressed sandwiches are awesome! You can put any combination of stuff in there...grilled veggies, meats, cheeses, peanut butter and banana...whatever!

This combo just happened to taste like pizza (which was a pleasant surprise).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd want to then throw it in a panini grill :-) Melt that sucker :D

Jacy said...

That would be very good too, but I'd apparently rather wait a bunch of hours to eat my sandwich than to clean my panini grill after I'm done using it.

My logic may be flawed.